Redevelopment plans for Farrer Park
Response to parliamentary question on the provision of sports facilities at the redeveloped Farrer Park
16 August 2022
- The redevelopment plans for Farrer Park presents an opportunity to enhance the existing sporting and recreational facilities to better serve current and future residents and bring the community together to create new shared experiences.
- The myriad of sports and recreational spaces within the new housing estate will include the following:
- The existing swimming complex will be replaced with new sheltered and outdoor swimming pools in a new sports centre at the same location, which will also house a gym and fitness studio.
- The existing boxing gym will be retained and converted to a multi-purpose sporting space.
- More sports facilities, such as a flexible indoor space ,which can be used for sports like table tennis will be incorporated within the Multi-Storey Car Park in the estate. This will complement other facilities around the estate such as fitness corners, providing multiple avenues for the community to keep fit and active.
- A jogging track will weave through the entire new housing estate and connect the various sports and recreational facilities.
- Notwithstanding our limited land and need for space to develop new HDB flats to meet strong demand for housing, we will still ensure that there will be spaces for the community to enjoy sports, and that they are readily accessible. There will be open spaces for sports and recreational uses, including an approximately 1.2-hectare central green space (equivalent to the size of two football fields) comprising a multi-use field and park that can be used for various activities, such as community football programmes amongst others.
- These plans have taken into consideration Farrer Park’s association with Singapore’s sporting heritage and feedback from various stakeholder engagements, including Friends of Farrer Park (FOFP) and the sports community.
- Overall, we remain committed under the Sports Facilities Master Plan to ensure that there are sufficient sports facilities to cater to both national level and town level demand. This includes exciting developments at the Kallang Alive! precinct, including the new Kallang Tennis Centre which will have seven covered courts and 12 outdoor courts, as well as new sports centres that are being built in several HDB towns.
Last updated on 02 August 2022