- FilterSpell, an interactive series of YouTube videos, is a first-ever collaboration between TheSmartLocal and Night Owl Cinematics.
- MCCY and NYC have also launched YouthActionPlan.sg, a new dedicated website on the SG Youth Action Plan with features and information to engage youths and encourage them to shape the future of Singapore.
- As part of continued efforts to engage youths under the SG Youth Action Plan, the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth (MCCY) and National Youth Council (NYC) have unveiled new interactive digital content for youths. This includes the choose-your-own-adventure series of videos FilterSpell1 (also titled “What Type of Singaporean Are You?” on NOC’s YouTube channel), a first-ever collaboration between home-grown media publisher TheSmartLocal (TSL) and digital media production and talent company Night Owl Cinematics (NOC), as well as a refreshed website on the SG Youth Action Plan.
- During this challenging period as the world battles COVID-19, youths are stepping forward to show appreciation to frontline workers and support the vulnerable in society. Many have also participated in and led projects in a bid to help Singapore overcome COVID-19 together. The videos by TSL and NOC invite youths to reflect on the values they hold dear and inspire them to take action on matters they care about.
FilterSpell imparts values-based messages through interactive participation
- Through interactive decision-making and comedy, FilterSpell aims to engage Singapore youths on the values that underpin the Youth Vision 2025 that was developed as part of the SG Youth Action Plan: care, fairness, inclusiveness, progress and sustainability.
- FilterSpell follows an all-local cast from TSL and NOC as they search for answers to a mystery behind the use of Instagram filters. Viewers are given control over the story’s development by making choices for the film’s characters at different moments, which result in a variety of consequences. Each video is about 3 minutes long; if viewers go through every option, the videos add up to nearly 1 hour long.
- Since the release of FilterSpell on Sunday, 26 April 2020, 3.00pm, the series has amassed nearly 1.5 million views2. TSL and NOC have also received positive feedback from their predominantly youth audiences.
- Bryan Choo, Managing Director of TSL and a member of the SG Youth Action Plan panel, said, “We wanted to encourage young Singaporeans to participate in charting their Youth Vision. We thought the best way to do this was with a light-hearted, interactive video series that highlights values they deem important. We are very grateful to MCCY for believing in FilterSpell and giving us the support we needed. Also, we are thrilled to be working with NOC for the first time. I believe we played on each other's strengths well.”
- Sylvia Chan, Chief Executive Officer of NOC and a member of the SG Youth Action Plan panel, said, “These interactive videos are aimed at getting youths to understand, with a comedic spin, that the choices they make have consequences. What you choose when facing certain situations in this series may be guided by the values you hold and reveal the type of Singaporean you are. We are happy to take on this adventure with MCCY and TSL in making this happen! The NOC team had a challenging and rewarding time creating all the video outcomes and we hope Singaporeans enjoy this interactive digital adventure.”
New SG Youth Action Plan website to engage youths on Singapore’s future
- In conjunction with the release of FilterSpell, MCCY and NYC have also launched YouthActionPlan.sg, a new dedicated website on the SG Youth Action Plan. The portal is mobile-first, youth-centric, and documents the SG Youth Action Plan journey that started from May last year, as well as that of its key initiative, the Somerset Belt Masterplan.
- Through vibrant visuals and interactive elements, the website aims to attract and engage Singapore youths on the SG Youth Action Plan, the values that guide it, the issues that youths care about and the action they are taking on these issues.
- The website will be refreshed regularly with the goal of becoming a one-stop interactive portal to enable youth action and participation. Currently, it houses the Youth Vision 2025 and the Youth Action Challenge journey. Over the next few months, the website will focus on opportunities for youths to step up in our fight against COVID-19, and link with NYC’s content and resources for youths during this period. Upcoming features of the site include:
• A “Kickstart a Project” section to help youths start ground-up initiatives;
• An engagement platform where youths can see what their peers have said or taken action on the issues that matter most to them, and contribute further; and
• An interactive map of the Somerset Belt that allows youths to stay in the know, take part in various happenings and contribute more ideas.
- Since the launch of the SG Youth Action Plan in May 2019, MCCY and NYC have reached out to over 400,000 youths and engaged close to 70,000 of them through digital platforms, public roadshows and focus group discussions to build a vision of what youths want Singapore to be in 2025.
For more information, please contact:
Mr Edward Poh
Corporate Communications Division, MCCY
HP: 9152 9251
Mr Wong Ruqin
Corporate Communications Division, MCCY
HP: 9322 0694
About the SG Youth Action Plan
The SG Youth Action Plan is a platform for Singapore's youths to shape their vision for the country, and develop plans for youth, community organisations, businesses and the Government to realise this vision together.
TheSmartLocal (TSL) is an independent media publication that focuses on lifestyle and positive content. Through its website, YouTube channel, Facebook page and Instagram, it gives locals trusted information on what to do in and out of their country.
In March 2020 alone, TSL Media hit over 15.6 million pageviews across its five websites, 24.3 million reach across its Facebook pages and a further 5.9 million views over its four YouTube channels. Most of its viewers are in the 20-40 demographic.
About Night Owl Cinematics
Night Owl Cinematics (NOC) is Singapore’s leading digital media production and talent company. We are the faces in front, and behind the cameras. We are your social media gurus and more. Small in numbers but big in our ambition, up to date we’ve obtained close to 400 million cumulative views on our ever-growing YouTube channel.
At NOC, we are never satisfied with the status quo! We continually strive to outdo ourselves by delivering original and outstanding content to bring the local’s best quality entertainment into your lives.